The Capiz State University started with the merger of Mambusao Agricultural and Technical College (MATEC) in Burias, Mambusao and the Capiz Agricultural and Fishery School (CAFS) in Bailan, Pontevedra to become the Panay State Polytechnic College (PSPC) by virtue of Batas Pambansa Blg. 91 signed by President Ferdinand E. Marcos on December 24, 1980. At the time of the merging of the two schools, MATEC (started June 22, 1958 by virtue of RA 2088, which has two existing satellite campuses located in Tapaz and Sapian) and CAFS (started June 21, 1957 by virtue of RA 1785 and 1786) were headed by Dr. Ernesto V. Botin and Dr. Wenceslao O. Sison Jr., as Superintendents, respectively. The seat of administration of PSPC was in Burias, Mambusao. On August 29, 1981, Dr. Ernesto V. Botin took his oath of office as the first PSPC President and Dr. Wenceslao O. Sison Jr. became his Vice President. With the appointment of Dr. Sison as College President of Northern Iloilo Polytechnic State College, Dr. Anthony N. Navarrosa was appointed to take over his place as Vice President which was later upgraded to the position of Executive Vice President. The head of the campuses were called Deans.
In 1982, with the approval of the Board of Trustees, the Office of the College President added satellite campuses in the municipalities of Dumarao and Pilar. In 1986, President Corazon C. Aquino reappointed Dr. Botin as PSPC President. When his term ended on July 24, 1993, Dr. Navarrosa, the Executive Vice President, served as Officer-in-Charge of the College until the appointment of Dr. Rochellir D. Dadivas as the second PSPC President on October 12, 1994.
During the time of Dr. Dadivas, he was assisted by Dr. Anthony N. Navarrosa, Executive Vice President; Dr. Editha L. Magallanes, Vice President for Academic Affairs; and Dr. Nicolas A. Braña, Vice President for Research, Development and Extension.
In accordance with the pertinent provisions of Republic Act 7722 (otherwise known as the Higher Education Act of 1994) and Republic Act 8992, on November 4, 1998, the Capiz Institute of Technology (founded 1917) in Roxas City, including its Department of Fisheries in Dayao (formerly Capiz School of Fisheries founded 1961), became an integral part of the PSPC system. This was approved in the 54th Regular Board Meeting held at the CHED Conference Room, San Miguel Avenue, Ortigas Center, Pasig City. However, the official turnover was done on October 25, 1999 by CHED Region VI-Western Visayas Director Tomas P. Parreño to PSPC President Dadivas. Then, on December 19, 2000, Sigma College of Science and Technology (started January 1, 1996 by virtue of RA 7973) in Sigma, Capiz was integrated into PSPC.
In 1999, Cong. Manuel “Mar” A. Roxas of the 1st District of Capiz filed a bill seeking for the conversion of PSPC into a state university. Both the City Council of Roxas City and the Provincial Board of Capiz passed the resolution supporting the bill.
On September 15, 2000, the Board of Trustees approved the new organizational structure of the College with three (3) units, namely: the Roxas City Unit, the Mambusao Unit and the Pontevedra Unit. Each unit was headed by a Chancellor. The Mambusao Unit has six (6) satellite campuses: Burias Campus in Mambusao, Sapian Campus, Tapaz Campus, Sigma Campus, Mambusao Campus, and Dumarao Campus. The Pontevedra Unit has Pontevedra Campus and Pilar Campus; while the Roxas City Unit has Roxas City Campus and Dayao Campus. The first Chancellors were Dr. Nenita A. Beluso for Pontevedra Unit, Supt. Primitivo V. Bangcoyo for Roxas City Unit and Dr. Geronimo L. Gregorio for Mambusao Unit. The campuses were headed by Campus Administrators who report directly to the Chancellors.
In 2001, the seat of administration was transferred to Mambusao Campus for accessibility and ease of communication. The second set of Chancellors were Dr. Edgar M. Dilla for Pontevedra Unit, Dr. Genoveva N. Labaniego for Mambusao Unit and Dr. Evaristo M. Magoncia for Roxas City Unit. With the retirement of Dr. Navarrosa in 2003, the position of Executive Vice President, being co-terminus, ceased to exist.
In March 2002 the bill for the conversion of PSPC into a state university was approved in the House of Representatives and the Senate approved the same measure on February 6, 2004. Cong. Rodriguez D. Dadivas of the 1st Congressional District and Cong. Fredenil H. Castro of the 2nd Congressional District were responsible in lobbying for the passage of the conversion law.
Then, a milestone was reached on March 21, 2004, when President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo signed into law Republic Act No. 9273 at Capiz Provincial Capitol, Roxas City converting PSPC into a state university, the Capiz State University. At the time of the conversion, the incumbent Governor of Capiz was Hon. Vicente B. Bermejo with Hon. Victor A. Tanco as Vice Governor. Following the provision of the University Charter, the seat of administration was transferred to Roxas City.
Dr. Rochellir D. Dadivas, the incumbent PSPC President at the time of conversion became the first University President. The three Vice Presidents were Dr. Editha L. Magallanes, Vice President for Administration and Finance; Dr. Aladino L. Leccio, Vice President for Academic Affairs; and Dr. Geronimo L. Gregorio, Vice President for Research and Extension.
On July 7, 2008, after the retirement of Dr. Dadivas as University President, Dr. Editha L. Magallanes was appointed as the second University President of Capiz State University. During the term of Dr. Magallanes, her Vice Presidents were Dr. Aladino L. Leccio for Administration and Finance, Dr. Herminia B. Gomez for Academic Affairs and Dr. Geronimo L. Gregorio for Research, Development and Extension (RDE).
Per Board of Regents’ Resolution No. 1112, series of 2009, the chancellor positions were abolished in view of overlapping functions with the campus administrators.
Having been rated Oustanding by the Evaluation and Search Committee towards the end of her first term as University President in June 2012, Dr. Editha L. Magallanes was re-appointed as President of Capiz State University on July 7, 2012.
With the retirement of Dr. Gregorio, Dr. Cora F. Navarra replaced him as Vice President for Research, Development and Extension effective November 7, 2012. The untimely death of Dr. Cora F. Navarra, left the VP RDE office vacant. Dr. Pedro G. Gavino was then designated as OIC-VP RDE on March 5, 2014 and assumed office on June 1 of the same year.
Dr. Herminia B. Gomez retired on September 17, 2014 and Dr. Editha C. Alfon was designated as the Vice-President for Academic Affairs.
Dr. Editha L. Magallanes finished her second term as President of the University last July 7, 2016 and Dr. Pedro G. Gavino was designated as Officer-In-Charge of the University while the search for a new President is on going.
On September 8, 2016, Dr. Editha C. Alfon was appointed as the third University President by virtue of Resolution No. 50, series of 2016. Her three Vice Presidents are Dr. Nilo D. Delfin, Vice President for Administration and Finance; Dr. Susan O. Dangan, Vice President for Academic Affairs; and Dr. Lucy A. Beluso, Vice President for Research and Extension.
By virtue of BOR Resolution No 117, series of 2017, the post for Vice President for External Affairs and Linkages was created. Dr. Mary Ann B. Martelino was designated as the first Vice President for External Affairs and Linkages.
Due to her outstanding performance, Dr. Alfon was re-appointed as University President for the second time on September 8, 2020 by virtue of BOR Resolution No. 003 series of 2020. The new designated Vice presidents under her second term are Dr. Wennie F. Legario as the VP for Administration and Finance and Dr.Efren L. LInan as the VP for Research, Development and Extension(RDE). Dr. Linan was designated as VP for RDE upon the retirement of Dr. Beluso on Nov. 16, 2020.